Saturday, August 06, 2005

Sony Ericsson Mobile Phones

This was going to be a post about the cool features of my new phone, but it's not. The upgrade was a free Sony Ericsson k500 phone, which looked pretty cool feature-wise. I took this phone rather than another Nokia 7220 because I fancied a camera and a new toy to play with. I do know at least few people with k500 phones who have had no end of trouble with them, but decided that it was just a problem with that model. Oops.

Today my phone died, aged just 23 hours, most of which was spent charging or switched off! As I was editing a contact the phone completely crashed and completely froze. I removed the battery and reset the phone, expecting all to be well. However, while all of the number keys continue to operate, all the others were goosed. Further resets did nothing to improve the situation.

Using the phone up until that point had not been trouble free. I'm going to avoid getting into my dis-belief about the lack of thought that goes into phone operating systems (and some ATMs on a sort of related topic). Although I realise there are lots of things that need to be crammed into the software, the menu system was slow and hard to navigate and everything just seemed to be a wee bit more complicated than it should have been. Added to the fact that the signal strength was noticably weaker than my Nokia and I'm one pissed off bunny. I still fancy a camera, but at the moment I don't think the trade off is worth it. Poor decision, Mark.

Tomorrow I'm off to the shop to try to get another Nokia. Hopefully...

No comments: